Every website is different and each one presents its own set of unique requirements.
There are so many different factors to consider; from usability and speed to data storage and security, that it can be a daunting time choosing which web hosting provider would be best suited to your needs.
To make the decision a little easier, we have compared some of the most common hosting platforms so you can make an informed decision.
WPEngine is the web hosting services platform offered directly from the originators of the CMS, WordPress.
With WordPress now dominating the content management system world with a massive 60% market share it is no surprise that they brought out a platform to host their own websites on.
With a large variety of tools and add-ons from daily back-ups and security updates to built-in page caches, WPEngine is a very strong competitor in the hosting platform market.
Offering many additional add-ons free of charge, such as an SSL certificate, which many other hosting platforms charge for helps them stand out and offer their customers many value added services.
As they are part of the WordPress team, you can be guaranteed to be talking to experts in their field with a wealth of knowledge on both the CMS and website hosting, you know you can rely on great technical support as and when you need it.
- Your site will be safe and secure with regular backups and security updates
- If you make a mistake or delete a page in error, simply use the 1-cick restore button
- Optional add-ons such as CDNs (Content Delivery Networks)
- Back-up your work and site whenever you want with 1-click back up
- Robust security with the option to password protect your entire site
- Easy site switching/management for multiple domains/websites at the click of a button
- Get help whenever you need it with 24/7 technical support
- Direct link to WordPress dashboard so no need to get used to another platform
- Faster image, PDF, and document load times, meaning a better user experience
- Real-time threat detection
- SSL certificates free of charge with hosting
- Easy to get started as CMS comes pre-installed
- Can only host WordPress sites
- Doesn’t sell domains
- Doesn’t come with email
- Technical support not available to those on start-up plan-
With a community of over 20 million+ customers, GoDaddy has evolved to become one of the largest web hosting services platforms which offers an array of tools from Windows and Linux based servers to strong integration with Microsoft applications.
They offer all levels of plans and products from domains only, all the way up to professional websites. They even have their own web designers on hand to support you if you are new to building websites.
- Flexibility and choice of operating systems to use
- Access emails within your hosting platform to integrate all your main work tools into one space
- Choose the level of website you require from basic blog to professional ecommerce store, powered by WooCommerce
- Manage all your social media platforms in one place
- Create, edit, and send email marketing campaigns through GoDaddy
- Shared servers mean more potential risks
- Targets inexperienced website builders so can be limiting
- Email application doesn’t have a strong security feature so spam does slip through
- Interface is clunky and not as user friendly as others
Ionos by 1&1
Started in 1988, Ionos has grown and developed with the internet and is now the largest hosting company in Europe, hosting over 12 million domains in regional data centres around the world.
Their plans range from basic to advanced depending on your requirements as well as your current web building knowledge. Plus, each plan comes with a free domain name, so you don’t need to purchase this separately.
- Easy to use website creation tools
- Dependable servers
- Flexibility and choice of operating systems to work from Offers WordPress hosting
- All-inclusive web building packages including a domain name to make budgeting easier
- Provides dedicated email marketing packages
- Reliable uptime and consistent testing for errors
- Limited storage solutions
- Lacks reseller hosting plans
- Only suitable for small and medium sized businesses
SiteGround’s WordPress hosting is to such a high level that they are now one of only a few companies, endorsed by wordpress.com.
However, they also provide hosting options for all major websites’ providers. Their use of the latest technology including SSD hardware helps them to stay ahead of some of the competition as they can offer faster loading speeds, alongside their own caching tool.
The servers are built to defend your content and with daily back-ups and automatic updates you don’t need to worry about out-dated plug ins or losing content or data.
- Easy to use
- Good 24/7 technical support
- Sites load faster due to their own built-in caching tool
- Platforms come with a free CDN
- Data and copy are safe and secure due to daily automatic back-ups and updates
- May not be suitable for enterprise companies due to storage space and visitor number limit
- Need to buy domain separately – not included with plans
If you are looking for a completely UK based web hosting service, then UKFast, could represent an excellent option.
Their 5 UK-based data centres are wholly owned by them, meaning they have full control over the hosting platform and data. Their tailored approach to plans means you are in full control of the platform and can set it precisely to your requirements.
- 24/7 technical support
- Full customisation options
- Plans for all company sizes from small to enterprise
- Expertise needed in hosting infrastructure due to complexity of platform
- Unmanaged servers
- Complex tools
How We Can Help
As we mentioned at the beginning of this guide, every website is different and each one presents its own unique requirements.
As such, we work with an array of hosting partners, from WPEngine to UKFast to ensure that your hosting is correctly configured for your business.
We can offer you an extensive range of SME and enterprise-grade solutions that deliver lightning fast, scalable, highly available and secure hosting environments.
For over 12 years we have been supporting websites, building skills, technical knowledge and developing award winning, accredited processes to take the hassle out of making your website flexible, secure, and up to date.
About Generate UK
We are an award-winning, full-service digital marketing agency based in Thatcham, Berkshire.
Our goal is to help businesses understand the true value in digital marketing and set out to help those businesses develop and implement new technology and processes to deliver a marketing strategy in line with their goals.